[vox-tech] machine fails to post

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Aug 21 10:02:55 PDT 2004

On Sat 21 Aug 04,  8:45 AM, Henry House <hajhouse at houseag.com> said:
> I have a machine (self-built) that started freezing randomly a few days ago,
> then rebooting at random inopportune times. Now most recently it does not
> boot up at all but fails to post (there is no beep or any other sign of
> funtioning after the keyboard LEDs flash once).
>
> The CPU (VIA C3 running without a fan, only a heatsink) felt very hot when I
> touched it, so I suspect that it overheated and expired. (I wish I had an
> instant-read electroni thermometer.) I did a quick check for electrical
> contact between the board and the metal case that could cause a short but
> found saw none.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions before I order a new CPU?

Henry,

CPUs often get very hot.  If you're not overclocking and weren't
stressing the system, I don't see how the CPU fried.  On older machines,
the system will crash *LONG* before the CPU physically fries.  It's only
on newer systems that CPUs tend to fry without warning.

Don't give up.  I've seen machines not POST for very finnicky reasons.
Most recently, I've seen a machine not POST because there were two
primary master hard drives.

Standard operating procedure if the machine doesn't POST:

0. Drain CMOS for 5 minutes.  If machine doesn't POST go to step 1.

1. Take out absolutely everything from the system including all hard
   drives, all cables, all cards.  The only thing in the computer
   (meaning "the case") should be your CPU (plus heatsink / fan) and
   RAM.  Take out even your case fans.

   Turn computer on.

1a. If the computer POSTs, go to step 2.

1b. If the computer does not POST, take the RAM out.  If the computer
    still doesn't POST, take the motherboard and PSU out of the case.
    Place the motherboard on top of newspaper or something
    non-conductive.  If the motherboard-on-newspaper and PSU still
    doesn't POST, then either the CPU or the motherboard or the PSU is
    toast.

2. Install cards one by one, trying to POST in between each one.  Don't
   hook up any cables.

3. Install hard drives one by one, trying to POST in between each one
   you install.  Don't skimp.  Try POSTING between each one.

4. Install everything else.  Try to POST.

Gotta go.  I'll try to write more when I get back.

Pete