[vox-tech] machine fails to post

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Sat Aug 21 14:08:22 PDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Henry House wrote:

> I have a machine (self-built) that started freezing randomly a few days ago,
> then rebooting at random inopportune times. Now most recently it does not
> boot up at all but fails to post (there is no beep or any other sign of
> funtioning after the keyboard LEDs flash once).
>
> The CPU (VIA C3 running without a fan, only a heatsink) felt very hot when I
> touched it, so I suspect that it overheated and expired. (I wish I had an
> instant-read electroni thermometer.) I did a quick check for electrical
> contact between the board and the metal case that could cause a short but
> found saw none.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions before I order a new CPU?

Is this by chance an Shuttle SV24/25 machine? If so, check for faulty
capacitors. I've retired my VIA C3 SV24 machine from active use (it's a
"let's play around and see what happens" box now) due to the number of
people reporting the capacitor issue with that model. It's also pretty
common among other motherboards of the era, so even if you don't have a
Shuttle, I'd still check for any bulging or leaking capacitors and/or
Google to see if it's a known issue with that motherboard.

As for the heat, I'd imagine if it were hot enough to short out the CPU,
it would also probably be hot enough to burn your hand. The VIA is not as
much of a heat producer as some (hence it being fully capable of running
with only a heat sink and no fan), but it still gets warm. Also, have you
taken off the lid and checked for any warning LEDs? I know the first
couple times I tried building my Shuttle SN41G2 with the shoddy thermal
compound it ships with, it would halt with the overheat LED on. Replacing
the compound with Arctic Silver III did the trick.