[vox-tech] machine fails to post

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sat Aug 21 14:44:10 PDT 2004

På lördag, 21 augusti 2004, skrev Shwaine:
[...]
> Is this by chance an Shuttle SV24/25 machine? If so, check for faulty
> capacitors. I've retired my VIA C3 SV24 machine from active use (it's a
> "let's play around and see what happens" box now) due to the number of
> people reporting the capacitor issue with that model. It's also pretty
> common among other motherboards of the era, so even if you don't have a
> Shuttle, I'd still check for any bulging or leaking capacitors and/or
> Google to see if it's a known issue with that motherboard.

The board is made by Aopen; I do not recall the exact model. I will check
for capacitor problems when I go home.

> As for the heat, I'd imagine if it were hot enough to short out the CPU,
> it would also probably be hot enough to burn your hand. The VIA is not as
> much of a heat producer as some (hence it being fully capable of running
> with only a heat sink and no fan), but it still gets warm.

The reason that I jumped to the conclusion that heat fried the CPU is that
VIA specifically warns against running the regular C3 without a fan. The C3
Eden is rated for fanless operation, but AFAIK is always hardwired onto the
system board, the two being sold as a bundle.

> Also, have you taken off the lid and checked for any warning LEDs? I know
> the first couple times I tried building my Shuttle SN41G2 with the shoddy
> thermal compound it ships with, it would halt with the overheat LED on.
> Replacing the compound with Arctic Silver III did the trick.

I didn't see any unusual LEDs shining, but I will check again!

--
Henry House