[vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:36:38 -0700

Richard Crawford wrote:
> I am apparently doing something wrong while trying to burn Knoppix CD's
> with my Windows XP laptop.  I had assumed that I would just download the
> .iso file onto my hard drive, insert a blank CD into my CD-ROM drive, then
> copy the file from the hard drive to the blank CD using WinXP's native CD
> writing software.
>
> This doesn't seem to be working though.  The CD I create doesn't boot my
> computer into Knoppix.  I've checked the BIOS on my computer to ensure
> that it is bootable from CD-ROM, but it's still not working out.
>
> Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

Copying over the .iso (i.e. making a data CD) is NOT what you want to
do.  The .iso is an "image" of the cdrom you want, and all the usable
files are contained within it.  Kind of like a .tar file (although
techies may shudder at this analogy).

With whatever burning software you use, you need to choose "burn from a
CD image" or such.  I don't think WinXP's native CD writing software
gives you this option; it is only for writing data.  For windows, try
Roxio, Nero, Disk Juggler, or the like.

HTH,
Jonathan