[vox-tech] php/GD problems (sorry for duplicate post)

dylan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:36:46 -0700

>> PS: i should mention that i am looking for some ways of messing with limited
>> RGB - HVC color space conversion...namely the limited earth tones that are
>> used in soil classification. php might not be the best way to do this...
>
> I am not sure about PHP, but your average joe monitor's color adjustments
> can do major damage to any subtle color differences you _think_ you are
> presenting.  I am no color expert, but I have seen some descriptions of
> using reference color strips used to calibrate monitors for correct color
> presentation, and it can be way involved.

Definitely. Every time I move my machine to a different location i need to
re-calibrate the color/gamma/ect...

however, for what i am doing, i don't really need 100% accurate colors. i
would just like *some* automated way of going from colors defined like this:
2.5YR 5/5  into something that can be read by a machine- RGB, HSV, ect. I
suppose that it would be possible to create a giant lookup chart, but that
would not be as much fun as an automated approach... :)

thanks for the input!

Dylan