[vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

Jimbo vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:20:08 -0700

Well:
This is what I have done so far...I tried two different cd roms on my newly
built pc (new and the original cd rom I used to install suse on my old
pc)--->same results.  I tried my boys pc, which is exactly the same as mine
(same motherboard, same processor, same memory but different cd rom and
video card) ---> same results.

Then I tried it on my daughters dell built pc P4 and it recognized the disk
with no problems but I didn't install it.  This shows that it is not a bad
suse disk or bad cd roms but a compatibility issue with my pc's hardware, be
it memory, motherboard or processor and nothing more.

Here is what I am running:
Motherboard: Intel p4 model # D865PERL.
Processor: Intel p4 3ghz 800mhz system bus; 512 KB l2 advanced transfer
cache supporting hyper threading technology.
Memory: Kingston 2X512 MB 400mhz; model # kvr400ak2/1gr.

This is the same as my boy's pc except his motherboard has built in LAN and
supports raid.

I have spent big bucks recently building my systems.  I am not going to buy
any more hardware.  I wonder if it has to do with memory?  I wish that I had
different memory to try but I cant afford to spend any more money to figure
this out

Jimbo