[vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:23:58 -0700

On Sat 10 Apr 04,  8:20 PM, Jimbo <evesautomotive@charter.net> said:
> Well:
> This is what I have done so far...I tried two different cd roms on my newly
> built pc (new and the original cd rom I used to install suse on my old
> pc)--->same results.  I tried my boys pc, which is exactly the same as mine
> (same motherboard, same processor, same memory but different cd rom and
> video card) ---> same results.
>
> Then I tried it on my daughters dell built pc P4 and it recognized the disk
> with no problems but I didn't install it.  This shows that it is not a bad
> suse disk or bad cd roms but a compatibility issue with my pc's hardware, be
> it memory, motherboard or processor and nothing more.

> Here is what I am running:
> Motherboard: Intel p4 model # D865PERL.
> Processor: Intel p4 3ghz 800mhz system bus; 512 KB l2 advanced transfer
> cache supporting hyper threading technology.
> Memory: Kingston 2X512 MB 400mhz; model # kvr400ak2/1gr.

hi jim,

ahhh... you said it was an 800MHz system, which was why i called it an
aging system.  if i were more knowledgable about intel hardware, i
would've known better.  it's  3GHz system.  that changes things.  and
googling tells me that chances are good that you have SATA drives
attached to that thing.

ok, we've established that you DO have a bleeding edge system, so i take
back what i said.  it's almost certain that there's a hardware
compatibility[1].

i did a little googling on your motherboard, and there ARE people with
the same problem.  lots of them.  typical problem:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=811530

looks like many people are having problems with SATA drives on this
system.  does your system use SATA?  (sorry, i can't tell you whether
SATA connectors look the same as ATA; i've never seen SATA before.
hopefully that'll change soon!).

it also appears that some people (again, reference the URL above) have
been having trouble specifically with suse on this motherboard.  i've
found evidence that people may have success with debian and fedora.

here's another message i found on google:

   http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Mar/2666.html

you may want to try setting "compatibility" mode in your BIOS (but do
heed the guy's warning about learning what it does first.  i have no
idea myself).

and this:

   http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Mar/2667.html

more googling suggests that you try to type "apic" at the boot prompt.

there's actually quite a bit on google.  here's more:

   http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/11/1/109392

so you have a lot to go on now.  it's sometimes hard to separate out the
good stuff from crap, but here's what i would try, in order of
difficulty:

1. try the apic suggestion (not hopeful).
2. try the "compatibility" mode suggestion (not hopeful).
3. try another distro, just out of curiosity.
4. try putting in ATA drives if you're currently using SATA drives.

the lkmpg messages i've seen are from march and april, so i'm sure
someone is working on the problem as we speak.

> This is the same as my boy's pc except his motherboard has built in LAN and
> supports raid.
>
> I have spent big bucks recently building my systems.  I am not going to buy
> any more hardware.  I wonder if it has to do with memory?  I wish that I had
> different memory to try but I cant afford to spend any more money to figure
> this out
>
> Jimbo

yeah, i know where you're coming from.  i've been in the same situation
myself, and it's not fun.  it's the "what the heck am i supposed to do
now" feeling.  a friend and i had to change catalytic converter on the Z
about a year ago.  the bolts were rusted, and i mean RUSTED.  you know
how hot those things get, and they're low to the ground, so they always
get wet anyhow.  we had to do a balancing act just to reach the bolts in
the first place.  we had no room to really get good leverage.  anyway,
for some reason this conversation reminded me of that afternoon.

i know there was nothing definite here.  hope something here is useful
to you.  anyway, the key here was to google for your motherboard.

pete

[1] compatibility is a bad word.  "unsupported" is a better word.
better yet, "unsupported as of right now" is best, because chances are
good that someone is hacking away at support as we type.