[vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:59:43 -0700

jim,

i haven't been following this thread, but here's my take from jumping in.

the key here is two-fold:

   1. 800MHz P4 is an aging system in the scheme of things.

   2. you didn't find anything in google.

the first point is relevent because linux sometimes doesn't get new mobo
chipset support immediately.  when i first bought my kt133a, literally 2
weeks after the chipset first came out, some of the AGP stuff didn't
work.  googling, i found a kernel developer announce on lkmpg that he
was working on it.

i sent him a polite note asking for an ETA, and he gave me some patches
which were included with the next kernel.

but an 800 MHz P4 is what -- 2 years old by now?

i __seriously__ doubt there's a hardware problem there.  any problems
would've been worked out a long time ago.

the second point is valid, well, because it's ALWAYS valid.  i've never
found that i was the first person to discover a problem.  someone,
somewhere, always asked the same question before me.  sometimes the
question got answered, and sometimes it didn't.  sometimes i'd have to
search very hard.  but my questions have always been asked before.  and
believe you me, i ask a LOT of questions.

well, there's a third key:

   * the problem seems to be "related" to a CD drive

the day of proprietary IDE devices is over, i think.  rick moen keeps
information like this on his website, so maybe he'll have something
different to say.  but i think it's true.  you don't get much more linux
friendly than an IDE CD drive.  except for, of course, a SCSI CD drive.

here's my guess.  it's not your motherboard.  it's not your cd drive.
it's probably your disks.

if you *insist* without the possibility of error that it's not the
disks, it has to be a bug in suse's install program, and you should look
for updates.

if you bought the boxed set, you NEED to contact suse.  if the problem
really is some kind of hw compatibility (which i stress is very
unlikely), they need to be made aware of it.

pete