[vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Doctorcam vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 22:11:53 -0700

* Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
* Jonathan Stickel (jjstickel@sbcglobal.net) wrote:

> Have you looked to see what you actually DO have in /dev?  I don't have
> your original post in front of me.  I assume you are trying to get a usb
> pointing device to work.  The appropriate dev name depends on your setup
> (devfs, udev, etc.)  I use /dev/input/mice for my usb mouse, and I just
> noticed a symlink called /dev/usbmouse which points to /dev/input/mice.

/dev/input/mice and /dev/usbmouse are both there (along with
/dev/input/mouse0, 1, etc., though any attempt to access
/dev/input/mouse0 gets a "No such device" response).

For none of the following do I get a response:

cat (or xxd) /dev/input/mice
             /dev/mouse
             /dev/gpmdata
             /dev/usbmouse

The mouse works with WinXP, so hardware is unlikely the problem.

Anything else?

Thanks for all the help - this is definitely a learning experience.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417

Cam Ellison & Associates Ltd.