[vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:48:15 -0700

Doctorcam wrote:
> * Trevor M. Lango (tmlango@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
>

>>/dev/input/event0 perhaps...?
>

> Thanks, but no joy with that.  I have seen reviews that state quite
> clearly that for both the M30 and the M35 (very similar),
> "/dev/event/mice" is the correct choice.  Using anything else appears
> to cause the server to crash.
>
> There is an entry when nvidia.o is loaded, noting "silken mouse
> enabled" or some such thing.  I don't think that means much.
>
> I have started gpm, which uses usbmouse, and set the device in
> XF86Config to /dev/gpmdata.  kdm starts fine, but there's no reaction
> from the mouse.  I'm stumped.
>
> Cam

Have you looked to see what you actually DO have in /dev?  I don't have
your original post in front of me.  I assume you are trying to get a usb
pointing device to work.  The appropriate dev name depends on your setup
(devfs, udev, etc.)  I use /dev/input/mice for my usb mouse, and I just
noticed a symlink called /dev/usbmouse which points to /dev/input/mice.

HTH,
Jonathan