[vox-tech] Mplayer

John Marcotte vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
25 Sep 2003 23:16:28 -0700

Hello,

I finally found a machine that I can devote to Linux. My laptop (which
was loaded with Windows XP Home edtion, which bites.)

I have gotten the laptop to do most reasonable things I ask it to thus
far, including wireless networking. Easy as pie.

But I can't play most video formats. I tried to install Xine, no luck.

A friend (cough, Bill, cough) suggested that I try mplayer.

I am running Redhat 9.0. Mplayer has an RPM for RH 7.x. I am enough of a
newbie that I was unsure if this would present problems.

There also seem to be numerous dependencies as I read the install docs
for the generic binaries.

Can anyone help me out a little with install advice? It seems pretty
complex and I don't want to screw anything up by doing something
foolish.

John