[vox-tech] Mplayer

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:19:11 -0700

John,

The easiest way is probably to get a RH 9.0 rpm from freshrpms.net (the
website is sometimes down in protest to software patents, but
ftp.freshrpms.net always seems to be available).

As for the 7.x rpm, my guess is that there's a good chance it will
work, but RH has had a bad habit lately of changing the way they
package things (i.e., something that used to be one big package may now
be a few little ones), which *might* mean that some dependencies are
unmet, possibly without rpm knowing (unlikely IMO).

However, you're not gonna screw anything up if you just do a

# rpm -ivh mplayer-<version>.rpm

You might get errors about unmet dependencies, in which case you'd want
to track down the proper (9.0) rpms from your CDs, redhat ftp, etc.
There's very little chance of ever screwing anything up unless you
start telling rpm to ignore dependencies.

If you find yourself with a non-working mplayer installed, just do

# rpm -e mplayer

Good luck, and have no fear,
Matt