[vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:30:29 -0700

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:58:13PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:33:08AM -0700, Michael J Wenk wrote:

> > > aha.  thanks!

> > > yeah, i got that too (i'm on opera).
> > >
> > > i was convinced the email was a fraud by looking at it.  i know banks
> > > don't ask for PIN's.  they go through great lengths not to know your PIN
> > > when you create the account.  for instance, washing mutual has a machine
> > > you enter your PIN into, and the teller has to walk at least 3 feet away
> > > and turn around before you punch your number in.
> > >
> > > but i was so darned curious, i had to investigate!
> > >
> > > pete
> >
> > Also, guess it doesn't hurt to say that you should never have your PIN
> > for online banking match the one for your ATM.  Or if you're forced, be
> > bloody sure that the site you enter it, really is your bank's site.
>
> Do you know of banks that let you choose two different PINs, one for
> online, one for ATM? That'd be nice...

Wells Fargo and Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union BOTH allow this...

> > Oh, URI stands for Uniform Resource Identifier (see RFC 2396 for
> > details)
>
> Yeah, it does... but what does that have to do with anything? All of
> the URIs he cited are also valid URLs, so he's perfectly right to
> refer to them as such, if that's what you're getting at. Also, the
> difference is mostly theoretical, as I haven't seen many (any?) REAL
> URNs in the wild, except for "persistent URLs".

Someone mentioned a URI back in this thread somewhere and was hazy, so I
tried to make it clearer.  When you really get down to it, its
irrelevant what you call it, just so it gives you the information you
are looking for.

Mike