[vox-tech] samba help: win2k

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:56:22 -0800

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:25:27AM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm trying to set up samba to share files between linux (satan) and
> win2k (lucifer).
>
> earlier, when double clicking "computers near me", i'd get both lucifer
> and satan, but double clicking satan gave an error that i can't remember
> right now.  so i tinkered with it.
>
> i came across a registry patch on the samba site that would enable plain
> text password in win2k, and applied it.  that might have been a mistake.
> now when i double click "computers near me", it says "workgroup not
> accessible.  path not found".

I *used* to run samba that way.  However some XP patch(may have been an
SP) broke it madly and the messages you state remind me of that.

> i believe the registry tinkering did this, although i'm not 100% sure
> because i was tinkering with other things.
>
> 1. i've read that the registry is backed up when changes are made.  if
>    true, how can i restore its original contents?

If it does, I am not aware of it.  I am by no means an expert or even
adept at windows however.  I suggest setting samba up to use encrypted
passwords.  Its actually quite painless(well I don't remember much pain
anyways, I guess its possible I am blocking it) and works well.

> so then i started reading DIAGNOSTICS.txt in the samba documentation.
> all the tests worked until i hit test 8:
>
>    On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER". You will need to
>    do this from within a "dos prompt" window. You should get back a list
>    of available shares on the server.
>
> on lucifer, when i type "net view \\satan",  i get the error message
> "system error 53 has occured.  the network path was not found".  which
> makes sense, since satan is not showing up on "computers near me".

I don't know if net works quite well.  In any event, just go to an
explorer window and type \\satan, in all likelyhood it will prompt you
for a user/password combo.

> something is wrong with the workgroup on lucifer (which i set to
> WORKGROUP) and it might have something to do with the plain text
> password patch i installed.
>
> 2. i know there are a few people who are admin level MS windows users.
>    any suggestions on what i should do (and question #1 above)?
>
> like i said, DIAGNOSTICS.txt tests 1 through 7 looked good.  so satan
> and lucifer can ping each other.  and lucifer can access the net (from
> behind a firewall).  my gut feeling is telling me that whatever is
> wrong, it's on the win2k client.  not the linux server.

I would undo the registry entry you made.  Search on MS's website for
the proper magic to do so.  Then I would set samba up to use encrypted
passwords, set up your user using smbpasswd(possibly mapping if you need
to) and then see if it works.  I think your problem is with BOTH
systems(least in my experience it is.)

Mike