[vox-tech] samba help: win2k

Jan W vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:57:04 -0800 (PST)

I'm no M$ expert, but I have set up samba to talk to most flavors of
windows....

--- Michael J Wenk <wenk@praxis.homedns.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:25:27AM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i'm trying to set up samba to share files between linux (satan) and
> > win2k (lucifer).
> >
> > earlier, when double clicking "computers near me", i'd get both lucifer
> > and satan, but double clicking satan gave an error that i can't remember
> > right now.  so i tinkered with it.
> >
> > i came across a registry patch on the samba site that would enable plain
> > text password in win2k, and applied it.  that might have been a mistake.
> > now when i double click "computers near me", it says "workgroup not
> > accessible.  path not found".
>
> I *used* to run samba that way.  However some XP patch(may have been an
> SP) broke it madly and the messages you state remind me of that.

I _always_ use plain text passwords.  It's easy to sniff, and easier to
diagnose what is going on (from the linux/samba side).  But it _is_ a security
issue and I wouldn't do it anywhere else besides a protected internal net.

> > i believe the registry tinkering did this, although i'm not 100% sure
> > because i was tinkering with other things.
> >
> > 1. i've read that the registry is backed up when changes are made.  if
> >    true, how can i restore its original contents?
>
> If it does, I am not aware of it.  I am by no means an expert or even
> adept at windows however.  I suggest setting samba up to use encrypted
> passwords.  Its actually quite painless(well I don't remember much pain
> anyways, I guess its possible I am blocking it) and works well.
>
> > so then i started reading DIAGNOSTICS.txt in the samba documentation.
> > all the tests worked until i hit test 8:
> >
> >    On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER". You will need to
> >    do this from within a "dos prompt" window. You should get back a list
> >    of available shares on the server.
> >
> > on lucifer, when i type "net view \\satan",  i get the error message
> > "system error 53 has occured.  the network path was not found".  which
> > makes sense, since satan is not showing up on "computers near me".
>
> I don't know if net works quite well.  In any event, just go to an
> explorer window and type \\satan, in all likelyhood it will prompt you
> for a user/password combo.
>
> > something is wrong with the workgroup on lucifer (which i set to
> > WORKGROUP) and it might have something to do with the plain text
> > password patch i installed.
> >
> > 2. i know there are a few people who are admin level MS windows users.
> >    any suggestions on what i should do (and question #1 above)?
> >
> > like i said, DIAGNOSTICS.txt tests 1 through 7 looked good.  so satan
> > and lucifer can ping each other.  and lucifer can access the net (from
> > behind a firewall).  my gut feeling is telling me that whatever is
> > wrong, it's on the win2k client.  not the linux server.
>
> I would undo the registry entry you made.  Search on MS's website for
> the proper magic to do so.  Then I would set samba up to use encrypted
> passwords, set up your user using smbpasswd(possibly mapping if you need
> to) and then see if it works.  I think your problem is with BOTH
> systems(least in my experience it is.)
>
> Mike

I would try keeping the registry setting.  Do you have local master on satan?
It is sounding like your win box can't resolve the name of your samba system.
Try using the dotted ip to find your share: net view \\xx.xx.xx.x  You _should_
see satan's shares.  Does your smb.conf file have:

local master = yes
os level = 34  # or something higher than 34

I'm stabbing in the dark, but I have seen many of these problems and they all
really similar.  But if you see satan's shares by using it's ip, then the
netbios name resolution isn't working.  Netbios over tcp/ip has to be enabled
on the win box, and the local master must be on and the os level has to be over
33, so satan will "win" 'local master elections' or some such garbage.

HTHO,

jan

=====
POLITICS, n.  A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles.  The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.