[vox-tech] samba help: win2k

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:25:27 -0500

i'm trying to set up samba to share files between linux (satan) and
win2k (lucifer).

earlier, when double clicking "computers near me", i'd get both lucifer
and satan, but double clicking satan gave an error that i can't remember
right now.  so i tinkered with it.

i came across a registry patch on the samba site that would enable plain
text password in win2k, and applied it.  that might have been a mistake.
now when i double click "computers near me", it says "workgroup not
accessible.  path not found".

i believe the registry tinkering did this, although i'm not 100% sure
because i was tinkering with other things.

1. i've read that the registry is backed up when changes are made.  if
   true, how can i restore its original contents?

so then i started reading DIAGNOSTICS.txt in the samba documentation.
all the tests worked until i hit test 8:

   On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER". You will need to
   do this from within a "dos prompt" window. You should get back a list
   of available shares on the server.

on lucifer, when i type "net view \\satan",  i get the error message
"system error 53 has occured.  the network path was not found".  which
makes sense, since satan is not showing up on "computers near me".

something is wrong with the workgroup on lucifer (which i set to
WORKGROUP) and it might have something to do with the plain text
password patch i installed.

2. i know there are a few people who are admin level MS windows users.
   any suggestions on what i should do (and question #1 above)?

like i said, DIAGNOSTICS.txt tests 1 through 7 looked good.  so satan
and lucifer can ping each other.  and lucifer can access the net (from
behind a firewall).  my gut feeling is telling me that whatever is
wrong, it's on the win2k client.  not the linux server.

thanks!
pete