[vox-tech] bash question - how to read specifed amnt of data from a file

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:44:33 -0700

Richard Burkhart wrote:
> It's "easier" for the same reason as it's easier in other clients -- you
> hit r)eply and you've got a message with the vox-tech address all nice
> and ready--just need to clear out the previous contents.  Quicker,
> easier, lazier.  And I don't remember if Outlook has a setting to thread
> replies on the email side. (Express probably threads in the
> newsreader--but who uses Usenet?  That's where all of them scary linux
> freaks hide out!)
>
> Unlike some other email clients (I'm assuming mutt and pine--haven't
> worked with those) - by my experience, the In-Reply-To field is almost
> impossible to get to.  You might be able to get to it using the OPTIONS
> menu, then "view message headers" ... but I don't know if you'd be able
> to edit that field.  (this opinion might be changed with infusion of
> coffee, so I can get my brain online and remember the actual path to
> it.)
>
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 05:51, p@dirac.org wrote:
>
>>hi dylan,
>>
>>please don't start a new thread by replying to a message.  always
>>compose a new message.  you broke the keymapping thread for me.
>>
>>i've noticed that outlook users are particular prone to starting threads
>>by replying ot old messages.  i'm curious -- in outlook, is it easier to
>>reply than to start a new message?

This is too tempting an opportunity to bash outlook users...

As Rich points out, it is always easier to hit "reply" than "compose",
where you have to _manually_ type in a "to" address and a subject line.
  This is true of most email clients.

But there _is_ a social correlation to outlook:  those who are too lazy
to click compose are also the ones who are too lazy to explore
alternative email clients to the default, but extremely faulty, email
client bundled on their M$ system... ;)

Jonathan