[vox-tech] LILO, I believe, and more....

David Jeffrey Barnum vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:56:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I got Red Hat 9 on my machine finally (thank you very much to everyone
who helped), and I, like the last email I received, could not get my
ethernet up.  On my machine is on-board ethernet, so I put a PCI card
in, and it works just fine now.  So there's question number 1:

How do I get the on board ethernet to work?

On to the next one.  When I start up my machine, I set it up so that I
dual boot, but LILO (I think that's what you guys put on it) recognizes
a third option:  2 4 20 20 9.  I tried loading it, and it's another
login to Linux, so I'd like to remove it.  Question number 2:

How do I get that third option off?

And finally, a fun one.  I have no idea how to even begin with this
one.  Upon startup, I get this message, with an exclamation point
encapsulated in a triangle:

Could not look up internet address for localhost. This will prevent
GNOME from operating correctly.  It may be possible to correct the
problem by adding localhost to the file /etc/hosts.

And then I have either the "Log in anyway" or the "Try again" radio
buttons.  Question 3:

How do I remove this (error) message?  I assume by removing the error,
but how do you do that?  (okay, so that's 4 questions, sorry)

So please help me with any suggestions.  The solutions might be horribly
simple, but I am brand new to this, so please bear with me.  (and laugh
only when I'm not looking please)  Thank you.

David

David Jeffrey Barnum
djbarnum@ucdavis.edu