[vox-tech] linux froze on startup

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:58:29 -0800

Roy

You don't say if this is a laptop or a desktop.  If this is a desktop (I
think I remember who you are...), let's first try to turn off the pcmcia
daemon.

Bootup with no cable connected to the ethernet.  Click the kmenu -
system settings - server settings - services.  Find pcmcia in the list
and uncheck it.  Also, click on pcmcia so that it is highlighted, and
click the stop button.  Exit and say 'yes' to save your change.

Ok, now let's try to get ethernet working.  Click kmenu - system
settings - network.  If there is an entry in the 'device' tab, choose
edit.  If not, choose new to make a device entry.  Enter your network
settings (DHCP or static information).  Click OK.  Click on the entry
and then click 'activate'.  Open a web browser and see if you can see
your favorite internet url.

Reboot to make sure the network comes up OK at boot time.

Let us know if you have trouble with any of these steps.

Jonathan