[vox-tech] LILO, I believe, and more....

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:12:05 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, David Jeffrey Barnum wrote:

> How do I get the on board ethernet to work?

What kind is it?

> On to the next one.  When I start up my machine, I set it up so that I
> dual boot, but LILO (I think that's what you guys put on it) recognizes
> a third option:  2 4 20 20 9.  I tried loading it, and it's another
> login to Linux, so I'd like to remove it.  Question number 2:
>
> How do I get that third option off?

  1. open a terminal program (xterm, eterm, rxvt, whatever...)

  2. become root (type `su` in the terminal.)

  3. edit /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor (`emacs /etc/lilo.conf`)
     find the entry that correspond to "2 4 20 20 9" and remove
     it and all attached options.

  4. run `lilo` (`lilo`)

> Could not look up internet address for localhost. This will prevent
> GNOME from operating correctly.  It may be possible to correct the
> problem by adding localhost to the file /etc/hosts.
>
> And then I have either the "Log in anyway" or the "Try again" radio
> buttons.  Question 3:
>
> How do I remove this (error) message?  I assume by removing the error,
> but how do you do that?  (okay, so that's 4 questions, sorry)

As root, type:

  echo >> /etc/hosts
  echo '127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain' >> /etc/hosts

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius