[vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
26 May 2003 17:52:10 -0700

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 17:09, ME wrote:

> For future reference, some Wirelesss Access Points (and other similar
> devices) have a reset button. Usually, pressing the reset will reset the
> device back to factory standards. However, on many, if you unplug the
> device, and then hold down the reset button and then plug it back in and
> continue to hold the button for 5-10 seconds, it will actually reset the
> firmware back to the original version that was shipped with the unit.
> (This is not always the case, but I have seen this more often at of late.)

That was actually one of the first things I tried.  I tried every
combination of power off / reset that I could think of, and none of them
did the trick.  After consulting with technical support (Linksys has
technical support available 24/7, and they didn't even ask for a serial
number or anything -- and I spoke to a real person within ten minutes!),
we figured that the device is just plain broken.  I purchased another
one this afternoon.  I've had a lot of luck with Linksys products over
the years, so I'm going to mark this one down as a fluke, and I
purchased another Linksys WAP11 ver 2.2.

> Also, to help others who may read this as an archived message, was it the
> newer firmware on the Wireless Access Point that made WEP work for you?

It seems to be.  The old WAP had version 1.007 of the firmware, and that
did not seem to work.  The new WAP has version 1.1c of the firmware, and
it is fine with my Netgear 401MA card.  I assume it's the firmware that
is making the difference.

> > Now, if only I could get GNOME working on my Debian laptop, life would
> > be really good.  :)
>
> Does "X" work? Ifyou have X working, then you should just be able to
> install Gnome and have it work. Do you have graphics working with X?

You'd think it would be that easy. ;-)

I do have X working on my laptop, although the version of XFree86
(4.2.something) that shipped with Debian was not compatible with my
laptop's video card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9000), so I had to download and
install XFree86 4.3.0.  I had GNOME 1.4 working just fine, and located a
backport of GNOME 2.2 for Debian.  I tried to download and install, and
that seems to have broken GNOME irreparably.  I'm pretty sure there's a
combination of deletions, upgrades, and installs that I could do through
Aptitude to fix the problem, but I have no idea what.  I do think it's a
topic worthy of another thread, though, and something I'll have to
devote some more time to... when I have time.  For now I have X working,
and IceWM seems to be functioning fine.  OpenOffice.org crashes with an
"X IO Error", but I have AbiWord and that will suit my needs for now
until I get things squared away with GNOME or whatever needs to be
fixed.  :)

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford