Debian GNOME (was Re: [vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network)

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
26 May 2003 20:34:15 -0700

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 17:52, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I do have X working on my laptop, although the version of XFree86
> (4.2.something) that shipped with Debian was not compatible with my
> laptop's video card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9000), so I had to download and
> install XFree86 4.3.0.  I had GNOME 1.4 working just fine, and located a
> backport of GNOME 2.2 for Debian.  I tried to download and install, and
> that seems to have broken GNOME irreparably.  I'm pretty sure there's a
> combination of deletions, upgrades, and installs that I could do through
> Aptitude to fix the problem, but I have no idea what.  I do think it's a
> topic worthy of another thread, though, and something I'll have to
> devote some more time to... when I have time.  For now I have X working,
> and IceWM seems to be functioning fine.  OpenOffice.org crashes with an
> "X IO Error", but I have AbiWord and that will suit my needs for now
> until I get things squared away with GNOME or whatever needs to be
> fixed.  :)

Forgot to add: many of the GNOME applications do seem to work fine under
IceWM.  It's just the GNOME desktop manager itself that doesn't seem to
work.  Or, at least, I can't log in to it.

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford