[vox-tech] Wireless card seems to "freeze" my wireless network

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 17:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

Richard S. Crawford said:
> On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 09:11, ME wrote:
>> Version of pcmcia-cs?
>>
>> I knew someone who was running RedHat who tried to get this card to
>> work.
>> For them, it was a matter of getting the latest version of pcmcia-cs and
>> building by hand. He did not need or use WEP however.
>
> Actually, the laptop is running Debian 3.0r1. ;-)
>
> pcmcia-cs, orinoco, etc., are all up to date, and the Netgear card I
> have is supported.
>
> I ended up trying to upgrade the WAP's firmware; unfortunately,
> something went terribly wrong while I was doing that, and the WAP was
> unusable after that.

For future reference, some Wirelesss Access Points (and other similar
devices) have a reset button. Usually, pressing the reset will reset the
device back to factory standards. However, on many, if you unplug the
device, and then hold down the reset button and then plug it back in and
continue to hold the button for 5-10 seconds, it will actually reset the
firmware back to the original version that was shipped with the unit.
(This is not always the case, but I have seen this more often at of late.)

Also, to help others who may read this as an archived message, was it the
newer firmware on the Wireless Access Point that made WEP work for you?

> So I had to go buy a new one.  The new one has a
> newer version of the firmware, and it seems to be working just fine with
> my wireless card in my Debian laptop.
>
> So, thanks for the suggestions. Everything seems to be working fine now.
>
> Now, if only I could get GNOME working on my Debian laptop, life would
> be really good.  :)

Does "X" work? Ifyou have X working, then you should just be able to
install Gnome and have it work. Do you have graphics working with X?