[vox-tech] NFS Mount Points

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 18:16:21 -0700

Let me say up front I don't have a canned answer for you,
just a different way of looking at this that might allow you
to find an answer to your problem.

On Sunday 11 May 2003 04:58 pm, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> [ this is a re-transmit.  I burped on the first
> one. sorry of any inconvenience. ]
>
> I've been learning nfs on my home network.
>
> A Red Hat 9.0 box exports /home/ja just fine.  RH
> 8.0 and 7.2 boxes can mount the export.  All dirs
> under /home/ja, and the files within the
> subordinate dirs looks fine.
>
> But, I'm having problems with the RH 8 and RH 7.2
> desktops under X.  I think the mounting has
> overlayed all the dot files and produced strange
> results.

>From what you've said thus far, there's nothing
"overlayed" in this setup.  The way to think about
this is "sharing"---your RH8 and RH7.2 machines
are sharing the *same* directory hierarchy.
If you're trying to run X (+ other things) on
these other machines, simultaneously, they *are*
sharing the same home directory, and certainly
trying to share some of the same files.  It's like trying
to run a word processing application more than
once on the same machine---if it lets you, and it really
starts two instances, and they each really work,
and you use each to edit the same file, then .....
(get the idea?  more sophisticated stuff like this
usually requires some power user intervention)

> I could export each sub-dir and then mount each
> sub-dir so that I don't step on the dot files.  I
> might not need to do that for all sub-dirs, so
> maybe just a few, like /home/ja/bin,
> /home/ja/temp, /home/ja/etc, and so forth.

This is a possibility, but the number of "dot" files in
your home directory /home/ja that are affected is
probably fairly controllable.  X, KDE, etc. all have
ways to support the kind of functionality you are
trying to achieve.

To summarize, you are looking for a way to run
X (and ?KDE?/?Gnome?/what else?) more than
once on different machines sharing the same
home directory (with configuration, temporary,
etc. files) such that there are no file conflicts
between the different instances.  You're looking
for file conflicts only in your home directory.

> Is this the way that most people do it?  Is there
> a better way?

I think you'll get some good answers here...but perhaps
you have some better ideas to help you google.

shawn.