[vox-tech] NFS Mount Points

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 19:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Shawn P. Neugebauer" <spn@ucdavis.edu>
wrote:
> Let me say up front I don't have a canned
> answer for you,
> just a different way of looking at this that
> might allow you
> to find an answer to your problem.
>
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 04:58 pm, Jim Angstadt
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > [ this is a re-transmit.  I burped on the
> first
> > one. sorry of any inconvenience. ]
> >
> > I've been learning nfs on my home network.
> >
> > A Red Hat 9.0 box exports /home/ja just fine.
>  RH
> > 8.0 and 7.2 boxes can mount the export.  All
> dirs
> > under /home/ja, and the files within the
> > subordinate dirs looks fine.
> >
> > But, I'm having problems with the RH 8 and RH
> 7.2
> > desktops under X.  I think the mounting has
> > overlayed all the dot files and produced
> strange
> > results.
>
> From what you've said thus far, there's nothing
> "overlayed" in this setup.  The way to think
> about
> this is "sharing"---your RH8 and RH7.2 machines
> are sharing the *same* directory hierarchy.
> If you're trying to run X (+ other things) on
> these other machines, simultaneously, they
> *are*
> sharing the same home directory, and certainly
> trying to share some of the same files.  It's
> like trying
> to run a word processing application more than
> once on the same machine---if it lets you, and
> it really
> starts two instances, and they each really
> work,
> and you use each to edit the same file, then
> (get the idea?  more sophisticated stuff like
> this
> usually requires some power user intervention)

Hi Shawn,

My initial idea is to have /home/ja/bin files
available for cron or for me, when I'm working on
the rh 8 or 7.2 boxes.  Also, I want access to
'common' config and logfiles on the box that
exports /home/ja/etc.

> > I could export each sub-dir and then mount
> each
> > sub-dir so that I don't step on the dot
> files.  I
> > might not need to do that for all sub-dirs,
> so
> > maybe just a few, like /home/ja/bin,
> > /home/ja/temp, /home/ja/etc, and so forth.
>
> This is a possibility, but the number of "dot"
> files in
> your home directory /home/ja that are affected
> is
> probably fairly controllable.  X, KDE, etc. all
> have
> ways to support the kind of functionality you
> are
> trying to achieve.

As a novice with nfs, it seems better to avoid
messing with the dot files rather than controling
  the dot file problem.

And, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

> To summarize, you are looking for a way to run
> X (and ?KDE?/?Gnome?/what else?) more than
> once on different machines sharing the same
> home directory (with configuration, temporary,
> etc. files) such that there are no file
> conflicts
> between the different instances.  You're
> looking
> for file conflicts only in your home directory.

Here is an example of the differences when
mounting the export, as opposed to not mounting
the export:

With it not mounted, I can click 'hat' and 'log
out' and exit X immediately, with no intermediate
prompt.  With it mounted, there is an
intermediate prompt.

Obviously, I don't care much about the extra
prompt, just that it tells me that the desktop
config has changed.

> > Is this the way that most people do it?  Is
> there
> > a better way?
>
> I think you'll get some good answers here...but
> perhaps
> you have some better ideas to help you google.

I sure appreciate your comments and hope that
others may have another perspective.

Thanks,
Jim