[vox-tech] NFS Mount Points

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 16:58:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

[ this is a re-transmit.  I burped on the first
one. sorry of any inconvenience. ]

I've been learning nfs on my home network.

A Red Hat 9.0 box exports /home/ja just fine.  RH
8.0 and 7.2 boxes can mount the export.  All dirs
under /home/ja, and the files within the
subordinate dirs looks fine.

But, I'm having problems with the RH 8 and RH 7.2
desktops under X.  I think the mounting has
overlayed all the dot files and produced strange
results.

I could export each sub-dir and then mount each
sub-dir so that I don't step on the dot files.  I
might not need to do that for all sub-dirs, so
maybe just a few, like /home/ja/bin,
/home/ja/temp, /home/ja/etc, and so forth.

Is this the way that most people do it?  Is there
a better way?

Thanks,
Jim