[vox-tech] Re: ATI Radeon

Fri, 9 May 2003 16:52:16 -0700

On Sat 10 May 03, 11:35 AM, D & E Radel <radel@inet.net.nz> opined:
> > Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 06:38:53 -0700
> > To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> > Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ATI Radeon
> > From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
>
> > my understanding is that the 3rd generation radeons (7500, 8000, 9500,
> > etc) had proprietary drivers written by ATI and free drivers written by
> > xfree86.
> >
> > didn't the weather channel, or something like that, fund development of
> > the free 9500 driver?
> >
> > if this is right, just out of curiosity, why are you using the
> > proprietary drivers?
>
> The XF4.2 drivers have no 3D hardware acceleration. XF drivers work just fine
> for other apps. But Wolfenstein Enemy Territory run in software rendering. ;-)

i just finished the single player last night.  nothing feels better
after a hard day's work than to kick some butt.

> > i thought your motherboard is something like a month old.  i doubt there
> > would be drivers right now.  when i first bought my athlon 1.4 (which
> > btw was the fastest x86 CPU on earth for 2 weeks when i bought it) i had
> > to wait about a month before i had motherboard agpgart support.
>
> NVidia say that the next driver release (which is GPL for the sound, and
> non-GPL for the LAN) will have AGP-GART for NForce2.

cool, i'm glad to hear this.

> > of course i don't know the answer to this question, but if i had to take
> > a good solid guess, i'd say the answer would be definitely "no".  are
> > you really going to put ATI on that motherboard?  that's too funny.  :)
>
> Well it's an Nforce2 board with no onboard-VGA. So pretty much it's just like
> any other motherboard with an AGP slot. The latest NVidia AGP cards get blown
> away the ATI Radeon 9000 in benchmarks so for the same price, why not. In
> Windows it kicks butt (I dual boot).

i would've said "yay" about a year ago when ATI open sourced its drivers
for the 1st generation radeons.  at this point, i go with whomever is
fastest.  :)

pete