[vox-tech] OT: line breaking in text/plain mail attachments

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:38:42 -0800

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 03:32:04AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> Are MIME attachments of type text/plain supposed to follow a particular
> line-termination standard? (I.e., LF or CR+LF).
>
> The reason that I ask is that one of my correspondents, who uses a Mac, sends
> me text/plain attachments that arrive base64 encoded (seems like broken behavior) and with Mac-style line termination. Mutt does not convert the line termination for me, which I thought it is supposed to do.

CRLF is mandatory for all "text" subtypes. Base64-encoding text is
somewhat strage, but acceptable. Using Macintosh CR line-ends is
broken.

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt sec: 4.1.1

HTH,
Micah