[vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:43:16 -0800

begin Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:06:23PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> > - Anyone played with a AMD Hammer system yet?
>
> Er, yes, did you have a question about them?
>
> > - Seen anything about a Debian port to to the architecture?
>
> Not in particular, it should "just work" in 32 bit mode.  If you want
> full 64 bit mode (twice as many registers, 64 bit pointers, etc.), you
> have to use a 64 bit kernel which is out.  Check out:
> 	http://www.x86-64.org
>
> I expect the x86-64 Opteron based servers to be announced sometime
> in April.  The Athlon 64 however has been rumored to have been delayed
> till Sept.

sorry, don't know much about this subject, but i should prolly start to
get acquainted with it.

i thought hammer == opteron?   wasn't hammer the internal codename for
what's now called opteron?

also, will the itanium "just work" as well?

pete