[vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Rhonda Frances Bailey vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:49:53 -0800 (PST)

disclaimer: i was in flash memory *not* processors. :)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
> > On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:06:23PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> > > - Anyone played with a AMD Hammer system yet?
> >
> > Er, yes, did you have a question about them?
> >
> > > - Seen anything about a Debian port to to the architecture?
> >
> > Not in particular, it should "just work" in 32 bit mode.  If you want
> > full 64 bit mode (twice as many registers, 64 bit pointers, etc.), you
> > have to use a 64 bit kernel which is out.  Check out:
> > 	http://www.x86-64.org
> >
> > I expect the x86-64 Opteron based servers to be announced sometime
> > in April.  The Athlon 64 however has been rumored to have been delayed
> > till Sept.
>
> sorry, don't know much about this subject, but i should prolly start to
> get acquainted with it.
>
> i thought hammer == opteron?   wasn't hammer the internal codename for
> what's now called opteron?

afaik, hammer is the general term for 64 bit. there was clawhammer and
sledgehammer (don't know which is opteron and which is athlon 64).
opteron is for server apps and athlon 64 for regular old desktops.

they were designed to be backward compatible, as bill mentioned, in 32
bit mode.

again, someone may know more than i, but in my 6 mo at amd, this is what
i gleaned from overhearing office conversation. :)

rhonda