[vox-tech] AMD Hammer, Athlon 64, Opteron...

Bill Broadley vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:37:37 -0800

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:06:23PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> - Anyone played with a AMD Hammer system yet?

Er, yes, did you have a question about them?

> - Seen anything about a Debian port to to the architecture?

Not in particular, it should "just work" in 32 bit mode.  If you want
full 64 bit mode (twice as many registers, 64 bit pointers, etc.), you
have to use a 64 bit kernel which is out.  Check out:
	http://www.x86-64.org

I expect the x86-64 Opteron based servers to be announced sometime
in April.  The Athlon 64 however has been rumored to have been delayed
till Sept.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics