[vox-tech] autofs - visible mountpoints and mountpoint locations

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

Heh... maybe you can kill two birds with one stone here.  What if you
create /cdrom, /floppy, ... as symblinks to /auto/cdrom, /auto/floppy,
...?  Then whenever you access /cdrom, the kernel's gonna try to access
/auto/cdrom, which will then tell autofs to check the CDROM and mount it
if necessary.

Just an idea.  I personally don't like automounting at all, partly because
I can't tell when it's mounting and unmounting and I can't be sure if I
can just pop my floppy out, and it doesn't let me eject the CD sometimes,
it doesn't recognize new floppy properly when I swap in a new floppy, ...

-Mark