[vox-tech] autofs - visible mountpoints and mountpoint locations

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:58:24 -0700

On Sun 29 Jun 03,  3:30 PM, Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> said:
> Heh... maybe you can kill two birds with one stone here.  What if you
> create /cdrom, /floppy, ... as symblinks to /auto/cdrom, /auto/floppy,
> ...?  Then whenever you access /cdrom, the kernel's gonna try to access
> /auto/cdrom, which will then tell autofs to check the CDROM and mount it
> if necessary.

mark, this is absolutely brilliant.

even if it doesn't work, it ought to!  it's THAT good of an idea!  :)

> Just an idea.  I personally don't like automounting at all, partly because
> I can't tell when it's mounting and unmounting and I can't be sure if I
> can just pop my floppy out, and it doesn't let me eject the CD sometimes,
> it doesn't recognize new floppy properly when I swap in a new floppy, ...

well, i'm not big into automounting myself.  i consider automounting to
be the same as GNOME and KDE.  bloat.

however, with automounting there's a purpose.  often games running under
winex will want you to insert a 2nd cd.   sometimes an installer will
ask you to insert another CD as part of the install process.  not a
problem when running the game natively under windows, but it can be a
problem when running it on winex under linux (i set up automounting on
my gaming machine).

pete