[vox-tech] Perl CGgi scripts not executing -- RESOLVED

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

> Dunno about that. None of our CF servers require a context root. It's
> more likely how you have your server configured: Since most CFML
> templates end in .cfm or similar, why not enable CFML interpretation
> site-wide? Then you can forget the context root.
>
> Of course, this is probably not a trivial change for you anymore....

The installation was mostly in place by the time I got here, and the IT
guy who set it up liked the context root.  I only recently found out how
to set the context root to "/", but it would not be trivial to fix at this
point.

We're running CFMX for J2EE on top of JRun.  Needless to say, I've learned
why so many people hate Java and trying to work with the Java platform.
You blink, and your error logs get two pages of exceptions.

However, I've gained a great appreciation for vi, sed, and regular
expressions. ;-)

> My current job involves working with CF too. It does have it's strong
> points: it makes database querying much easier than any other language I
> know. But it lacks so many features that you get used to in PHP and
> Perl, much of its design is brain-dead, and the lack of
> lexically-scoped variables can be *really* crippling when you're
> writing anything much more complex than "mind-numbingly simple".

I don't do any actual programming in Cold Fusion.  I leave that to the
developers downstairs.  Heh.  If I had my druthers, we'd be a PHP shop;
from what I can tell, and from my memories of programming CF in the past,
CF has a tendency to encourage really sloppy coding.  Heh.

> But hey, at least you're running it under Apache, huh? I presume
> you're running it on Unix, then? We're a M$-only shop :( :( :(

We're a Solaris shop up here.  Or we will be, soon.  My job has been
overseeing the migration from NT/SQL Server to Solaris/Oracle.

The NT->Solaris move has been traumatic enough (but we're here now, and we
shall soon reap the rewards).  I'm not looking forward to the SQL
Server->Oracle transition.  Ugh.