[vox-tech] Perl CGgi scripts not executing -- RESOLVED

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:29:50 -0700

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 12:57:32PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Thanks to those who offered suggestions.  I appreciate it.
>
> Turns out it was the stupid HTML files that were pointing at the perl
> scripts that were at fault.  Because I have Cold Fusion running on these
> servers (blech!), there's a special part of the URL, a context root, which
> is added.  If you point a browser at a cgi script, it cannot have the
> context root.
>
> In other words, my cold fusion enabled url looks like this:
>
> http://www.myplace.com/cfmx/home/
>
> but if you try calling http://www.myplace.com/cfmx/home/script.pl it won't
> work.  You have to leave out the cfmx.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> In a word, it's Macromedia's fault.  Bastards.

Dunno about that. None of our CF servers require a context root. It's
more likely how you have your server configured: Since most CFML
templates end in .cfm or similar, why not enable CFML interpretation
site-wide? Then you can forget the context root.

Of course, this is probably not a trivial change for you anymore....

My current job involves working with CF too. It does have it's strong
points: it makes database querying much easier than any other language
I know. But it lacks so many features that you get used to in PHP and
Perl, much of its design is brain-dead, and the lack of
lexically-scoped variables can be *really* crippling when you're
writing anything much more complex than "mind-numbingly simple".

But hey, at least you're running it under Apache, huh? I presume
you're running it on Unix, then? We're a M$-only shop :( :( :(

(...if it weren't for Cygwin, I'd be long dead...)

-Micah