[vox-tech] Perl CGgi scripts not executing -- RESOLVED

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:52:09 -0700

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:14:26PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > My current job involves working with CF too. It does have it's strong
> > points: it makes database querying much easier than any other language I
> > know. But it lacks so many features that you get used to in PHP and
> > Perl, much of its design is brain-dead, and the lack of
> > lexically-scoped variables can be *really* crippling when you're
> > writing anything much more complex than "mind-numbingly simple".
>
> I don't do any actual programming in Cold Fusion.  I leave that to the
> developers downstairs.  Heh.  If I had my druthers, we'd be a PHP shop;
> from what I can tell, and from my memories of programming CF in the past,
> CF has a tendency to encourage really sloppy coding.  Heh.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

> > But hey, at least you're running it under Apache, huh? I presume
> > you're running it on Unix, then? We're a M$-only shop :( :( :(
>
> We're a Solaris shop up here.  Or we will be, soon.  My job has been
> overseeing the migration from NT/SQL Server to Solaris/Oracle.
>
> The NT->Solaris move has been traumatic enough (but we're here now, and we
> shall soon reap the rewards).  I'm not looking forward to the SQL
> Server->Oracle transition.  Ugh.

'Course, it gives you ample opportunity to ensure your own job
security (should you desire it) by ensuring that only you would be
able to keep the whole thing running should problems arise... ]:->

-Micah