[vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:57:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:43:12PM -0700, Jim
> Angstadt wrote:
> > --- Mike Simons
> <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> > wrote:
> machine does not power itself
> configuration option.  I would like
> to build the kernel you are
> > >
> > > - Paste output from:  grep APM
> /boot/config*
> >
> > ----- grep APM boot config*
> > CONFIG_APM=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
> > CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> > CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
>
>   At the beginning of the thread I said that I
> think the following
> option needs to be turned on in order for the
> kernel to shut the power
> supply off on shutdown:
> ===
> # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> ===
>
>   The kernel you are using does not have it
> turned on.
>
>   However the knoppix kernel does not have it
> on either, and that system
> certainly turns off each laptop I have checked
> on shutdown... looking
> in the code:
>   - that setting is not changeable at runtime
> (only compile time, not that
>     there is anything that would prevent it
> from bring set at runtime).
>   - there are two ways the kernel will try to
> power off, which one is
>     used is decided by that setting.
>   - using magic sysrq you can trigger the power
> off kernel function to
>     see if the kernel method works correctly on
> a given box.
>       With 'q', as in s-u-q, instead of s-u-b.

I read, but didn't understand, the earlier
threads on using magic sysrq keys.  I'll go back
over those threads.

> - Paste output from:  grep MAGIC /boot/config*

----- grep MAGIC /boot/config*
# CONFIG_NATSEMI_CABLE_MAGIC is not set
CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC=m
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y

> box
> > >
> > >   You appear to have the functions needed
> to do
> > > power-off, but another question is raised:
> > >
> > > - Paste output from:  lsmod
> > <snip>
> >
> > ----- lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> Tainted: P
> > nvidia               1593856  10  (autoclean)
>
>   Hrmmm... tainted kernel.  that could be
> responsible for the system
> not stopping or powering off correctly.
> Besides the nvidia driver
>
> - Do you know if you any other binary-only
> kernel drivers?

The NVidia drivers are the only ones I
specifically downloaded and installed.  That was
done immediately upon original install.

I recall from the logs, that NVidia was mentioned
as being responsible for the kernel being tainted
(ie not open source).

Maybe it's too soon to ask, but, are you thinking
that the original kernel was OK, and then later
was changed, not re-compiled, which resulted in
the current situation?

If so, then an option would be to reinstall from
CD, reinstall NVidia driver and the printer.
There would be some network config work, but I
understand it now.

But, it would be nice to see what is causing the
problem.

Jim