[vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:15:16 -0400

--l3ej7W/Jb2pB3qL2

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:43:12PM -0700, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> --- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> wrote:
> >=20
> > - Paste output from:  grep APM /boot/config*
>=20
> ----- grep APM boot config*
> CONFIG_APM=3Dy
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=3Dy
> # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=3Dy
> # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

  At the beginning of the thread I said that I think the following
option needs to be turned on in order for the kernel to shut the power
supply off on shutdown:
=3D=3D=3D
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
=3D=3D=3D

  The kernel you are using does not have it turned on.

  However the knoppix kernel does not have it on either, and that system
certainly turns off each laptop I have checked on shutdown... looking
in the code:
  - that setting is not changeable at runtime (only compile time, not that
    there is anything that would prevent it from bring set at runtime).
  - there are two ways the kernel will try to power off, which one is
    used is decided by that setting.
  - using magic sysrq you can trigger the power off kernel function to
    see if the kernel method works correctly on a given box. =20
      With 'q', as in s-u-q, instead of s-u-b.

- Paste output from:  grep MAGIC /boot/config*

> > > ----- grep power /proc/ksyms from RH 8.0 box
> > > d0a0d004 rm_power_management	[nvidia]
> >=20
> >   You appear to have the functions needed to do
> > power-off, but another question is raised:
> >=20
> > - Paste output from:  lsmod
> <snip>
>=20
> ----- lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P =20
> nvidia               1593856  10  (autoclean)

  Hrmmm... tainted kernel.  that could be responsible for the system=20
not stopping or powering off correctly.  Besides the nvidia driver=20

- Do you know if you any other binary-only kernel drivers?

--=20

--l3ej7W/Jb2pB3qL2

--l3ej7W/Jb2pB3qL2--