[vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:04:24 -0400

--tqN4RWvJTb9VNux/

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:57:42PM -0700, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> --- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> wrote:
> > - using magic sysrq you can trigger the power off kernel function
> >   to see if the kernel method works correctly on a given box.  With
> >   'q', as in s-u-q, instead of s-u-b.
>=20
> I read, but didn't understand, the earlier
> threads on using magic sysrq keys.  I'll go back
> over those threads.

Jim,

  Skim over /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

  Basically switch to a command prompt so you can see what is happening,
then hold down alt-SysRQ and press 's' you should see a message appear
saying your file systems are being sync'ed.  if that happens hold down
alt-SysRq and press 'u', you will see a message saying your filesystems
are being remounted read-only (they will not need to be fsck'ed on next
boot).  Then alt-SysRq and tap 'q', the kernel will call the kernel=20
function which is responsible for powering off the machine, you should
see the power go off.

- Doing the above is meant to verify the kernel is correctly configured
  for your BIOS... it should power off.  Try it a few times and report
  back what happens.

> > - Paste output from:  grep MAGIC /boot/config*
>=20
> ----- grep MAGIC /boot/config*
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=3Dy

Good, it is enabled.

> > >=20
> > > ----- lsmod
> > > Module                  Size  Used by  =20
> > Tainted: P =20
> > > nvidia               1593856  10  (autoclean)
> >=20
> >   Hrmmm... tainted kernel.
>=20
> The NVidia drivers are the only ones I
> specifically downloaded and installed.  That was
> done immediately upon original install.
[...]
> Maybe it's too soon to ask, but, are you thinking
> that the original kernel was OK, and then later
> was changed, not re-compiled, which resulted in
> the current situation?

  It is unlikely that something magically changed from before to now.
When you install kernel modules you don't actually change the kernel
binaries, so you can "easily" go back to exactly what was before if you
know what steps to take.
  It is unlikely that the nvidia drivers are responsible... but it is=20
worth checking.

> If so, then an option would be to reinstall from CD,=20
[...]

  No, don't do a fresh install.  At least not now, it is likely to=20
change too many things.

  There is a way to get Redhat to boot into text console mode (without
starting X).  Based on what I see from lsmod, "autoclean", I think that
the nvidia driver is being loaded by X when it starts... so I think
simply not starting X will result in no loading.
  There are about 20 different ways to stop X from starting... I'll
mention two ways, report back if they both don't work right.  If=20
things have not changed in Redhat, then in /etc/inittab there=20
should be a line that says, something like:
  id:3:initdefault:
if you change the '3' to a '2', X should not start on the next reboot.

Otherwise if you move the X config file some place else, X will not
start... the following two commands should handle that:
=3D=3D=3D
mkdir /etx/X11/test
mv /etc/X11/XF86Config* /etc/X11/test
=3D=3D=3D

to move them back into place:
=3D=3D=3D
mv /etc/X11/test/* /etc/X11
=3D=3D=3D

  The way to see 'not starting X' worked is to look at lsmod output
again, there should be no 'nvidia' line... and the 'Tainted:' thing
should say 'not tainted'.  If nvidia is missing but it says something
else please paste the output of lsmod again and I'll try to figure out
what else could be tainting.

  Once the kernel is non-tainted, try the normal "shutdown -h now"
a few times and report back if there is any change from the unreliable
behavior.

    Good Luck,
      Mike

--=20