[vox-tech] graphics card suggestion for 1920x1200

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:35:15 -0700

On Mon 02 Jun 03,  3:16 PM, Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:04:08PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > people with bleeding edge radeons can still use the cards, even with DRI
> > support, using the firegl drivers, which are closed source ATI drivers.
> > this means the 9700 too.
>
> I used the firegl drivers with my 9700 pro. They just plain suck.
> They were poorly packaged, low quality (2D was slooooow) and have not been
> updated since november (this may have changed recently, but i doubt it).

yeah, i meant to mention this, but it was 2nd hand information from some
friends i've made from hanging out on quake3 servers (kinda like IRC,
but more fun).   :)

> > what i don't know (if anyone knows, please speak up) is whether either
> > the open source or proprietary radeon drivers will support ut2003 and
> > doom3.   last i heard, none of them do on linux.  there was some gl
> > function that was unsupported.  john carmack offered to work with ATI to
> > get the drivers up to speed to play doom3, but i don't know if anything
> > came of this.
>
> I ran into some gl issues using the 9700 pro. I don't know if it's a card
> problem or a driver problem, but I was not able to use an extension that works
> fine on my gf4 4400 (GL_SHARED_PALLETE_EXT).

wierd.  i don't remember what the problem extension was, but i didn't
think that was it.

but in any event, i read on linuxgames.com that it was a driver issue,
although that could also mean there's no hardware support so they need
to do it in software, i suppose (hence, carmack's offer).

i remember hearing that NVIDIA wants to open source their drivers, but
there are snatches of GL code that they license which isn't releasable.
i think joe arruda mentioned this awhile ago.  if true, then i think
nvidia can go a long way by separating out the closed source components
and releasing everything else.

i still feel pain when i think about the king of 3D and the white knight
of open source getting bought out by nvidia.  that was a wierd day; like
a bad dream.  like the day loki folded or kurt cobain died.  the
difference being, nobody saw 3dfx's demise coming...   ;)

pete