[vox-tech] graphics card suggestion for 1920x1200

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:16:15 -0700

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:04:08PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> people with bleeding edge radeons can still use the cards, even with DRI
> support, using the firegl drivers, which are closed source ATI drivers.
> this means the 9700 too.

I used the firegl drivers with my 9700 pro. They just plain suck.
They were poorly packaged, low quality (2D was slooooow) and have not been
updated since november (this may have changed recently, but i doubt it).

> what i don't know (if anyone knows, please speak up) is whether either
> the open source or proprietary radeon drivers will support ut2003 and
> doom3.   last i heard, none of them do on linux.  there was some gl
> function that was unsupported.  john carmack offered to work with ATI to
> get the drivers up to speed to play doom3, but i don't know if anything
> came of this.

I ran into some gl issues using the 9700 pro. I don't know if it's a card
problem or a driver problem, but I was not able to use an extension that works
fine on my gf4 4400 (GL_SHARED_PALLETE_EXT).

-Gabe