[vox-tech] graphics card suggestion for 1920x1200

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:04:08 -0700

On Mon 02 Jun 03,  2:35 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 04:02:55PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> > On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:21:29AM -0700, jeremic@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> > > I just got a SONY sdm-P232W LCD monitor and was wondering if anyone can
> > > suggest a graphics card for this one.
> >
> > Boris,
> >
> >   Not being very into graphics cards, I would recommend some ATI brand
> > card, since they have open 3D drivers, which will be better for you
> > long term.  I would avoid NVidia since they have closed 3D drivers.
>
> Last I checked ATI drivers were just as closed, and not nearly as up
> to date.  For instance the new Radeons require a binary driver which doesn't
> exist for XFree86-4.3.
>
> So basically your completely out of luck.  Kinda frustrating since they
> are quite popular/cheap, and ship on many dell's these days.
>
> If someone has a pointer to an opensource radeon 9700 3d driver please
> let me know and I'll put it to good use.
>

> --
> Bill Broadley
> Mathematics
> UC Davis

i'm not as up on the linux video driver news as i was a year ago, but
here's what i think i know:

all radeon drivers are open source, up to (and not including) the 9200.
i don't think there are any plans ATM to open the drivers for 9200 and
higher.

people with bleeding edge radeons can still use the cards, even with DRI
support, using the firegl drivers, which are closed source ATI drivers.
this means the 9700 too.

what i don't know (if anyone knows, please speak up) is whether either
the open source or proprietary radeon drivers will support ut2003 and
doom3.   last i heard, none of them do on linux.  there was some gl
function that was unsupported.  john carmack offered to work with ATI to
get the drivers up to speed to play doom3, but i don't know if anything
came of this.

pete