[vox-tech] File Permission Issue while downloading files from an ftp location

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:26:01 -0700

On 2003.07.16 01:18, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
> > (So far as I know, Windows can't read/write ext2 or ext3
> filesystems,
> > and VFAT doesn't support file permissions, and user/group ownership
> that
> > Unix filesystems do.)
>
> FYI, [V]FAT supports a 6 file attributes:
>
>    hidden attribute (if set, file should be hidden)
>    read-only attribute (if set, file isn't writable)
>    system attribute (if set, file shouldn't be moved on the disk)
>    volume attribute (don't worry about this.)
>    archive attribute (if set, file should be archived)
>    directory attribute (don't worry about this either.)

Take a look at my previous post ( Re: [vox-tech] good reference source
for fstab permissions variables/syntax ) and the mount(8) manpage for
tips about mounting vfat drives.

My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu