[vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Geoffrey Herteg vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:15:30 -0800

If memory serves (which often it doesn't, at least not 100%!), you probably
modify one of the PCMCIA boot disks provided by Debian or RedHat for this.
If your laptop doesn't have a floppy drive (don't laugh, my T20 doesn't!),
you could probably burn an El Torito CDR boot disk with the custom image.

Just make sure the disk uses a cramfs initial ramdisk to load a temporary
root into memory, load any support modules you need (like PCMCIA support,
SCSI or firewire modules, etc), run any required initialization scripts, and
then chroot to the drive you wish to use as your real root.  I think things
should proceed normally from there.

It's a complicated process to be sure, but http://www.tldp.org/ (Linux
Documentation Project) has an entry in the PCMCIA Howto about it
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-5.html).

Good luck!

- Geoffrey