[vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Harry S vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:32:44 -0800

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:29:52AM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:
> I have a laptop that is a few years old and only has a 10GB hard drive

My laptop has a 20GB. It's 1-2 years old. Wish I would have paid extra
for the 40GB drive.

You might want to consider just buying another hard drive. I'm
considering upgrading to a 60GB drive. Here's an idea of what a 20GB
drive might cost you:

HDD2168
MK-2018GAS
$ 87.00
Ships in 24 Hrs

    * Capacity: 20.0 GB
    * Interface: ATA/100
    * RPM: 4200 RPM
    * Height: 9.5 mm
    * Screw Hole Pattern: New
    * Ave Seek Time: 12 MS
    * Buffer Speed: 2MB
    * Warranty: 1 Year Warranty

> boot my computer.  Right now I am using Windows XPpro and have RH8.0

Me too!

> installed on a desktop.  I was wondering if anyone knows if you can boot
> off an external hard drive either connected via the firewire or through
> a SCSI card in a PCMCIA card slot?  If not, is it possible to just have

Usually this is configured through the BIOS. My Dell 8100 allows me the
additional options of booting via NIC and PCMCIA. A PCMCIA SCSI card
would probably work, but I haven't tried.

> a "skeleton" of Linux on the internal hard drive and have most of the
> programs and files on the external one?

This would work, and is very possible.