[vox-tech] How do i refer my system with IP and make sure that its accessible from windows(server is running there)

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:29:01 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   First of all thank you so much for your mail :).
>
> > 1. are you changing the ip of your machines? (192.168.0.44) Or are you
> > changing the script on each machine?
>
> Not going to do both.  The java argument need someway to access my system
> files by refering my System IP/Name but not normal path i.e /home/enigma

The existing DOS solution depends on CIFS (e.g. samba).

> > 2. are you running iptables/ipchains on your linux machine (firewall),
> > that would block network traffic?
> I dont think the system that I am testing runs both(iptables/ipchains)
>
> > 3. can you verify that the java program (com.enigma.client.PETClient) is
> > starting? and trying to talk on the network? You can use tcpdump, or
> > tethereal to see network traffic.
>
> yes it does and thats why it says wrong input files.
>
> One my friend told me that its better that I copy input files from
> client to server and then ask java to refer to those input files and
> if it generates some output files copy it back to client.  Now this is
> too much cause this is not that case with dos batch files.  Another
> guy was suggesting me to try samba but that once again puts the
> question WITHOUT Authentication.

Complain, complain. You seem to want your cake and to eat it too: must be
able to access files anywhere, but must be secure.  The "\\host\path"
notation depends on the presence of CIFS servers, such as samba.

Perhaps you should set all files you want to access up within the scope of
FTP servers, and use ftp URLs in all cases.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing