[vox-tech] RTCW, sound problem

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:33:43 -0800

On Sat 13 Dec 03,  9:25 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
> I've recently decided to give gaming a try in Linux.  I managed to get
> Duke3D working, and it runs great.  So next I try Return to Castle
> Wolfenstein (RTCW).  I think I installed it all correctly (only a couple
> steps), but there is a problem with the sound.
>
> It starts in multi-player mode, I think, with a menu screen.  Here
> everything seems fine: sound, graphics, and I can change graphic
> options.  I haven't tried to play multiplayer because I'm not yet
> interested.
>
> The problem is when I choose single-player mode on the menu.  When I
> first tried, I did not have ALSA installed.  Single-player would work
> but without sound (couldn't find /dev/dsp).  A google search indicated
> it might work with ALSA, so I installed ALSA and ALSA-OSS.  ALSA seems
> to work fine with all my other applications, but now when I choose
> single-player, RTCW hangs with a blank screen and movable mouse cursor.
>  When I go to another terminal and kill "wolfsp.x86", I get back my
> Xterm and see it died at "sound initialization".  No other info is given.
>
> I can't seem to find this particular problem mentioned on the web.  Any
> ideas?  Supposedly the linux implementation of RTCW is similar to Quake3.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

jon,

are you running a sound daemon?  enlightenment uses esd.  i'm sure gnome
and kde have their own sound daemons (i don't use gnome/kde, so i don't
know).

try killing the sound daemon and see if that helps.

if that doesn't work, you can pull out the big guns and try using ltrace
to see if you can get any more information about why sound isn't
working.

if ltrace doesn't give further information, then perhaps strace will.
i've solved MANY game related problems using ltrace and strace.

use ltrace first -- the output is less copious and easier to go through.

pete