[vox-tech] RTCW, sound problem

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:25:18 -0800

I've recently decided to give gaming a try in Linux.  I managed to get
Duke3D working, and it runs great.  So next I try Return to Castle
Wolfenstein (RTCW).  I think I installed it all correctly (only a couple
steps), but there is a problem with the sound.

It starts in multi-player mode, I think, with a menu screen.  Here
everything seems fine: sound, graphics, and I can change graphic
options.  I haven't tried to play multiplayer because I'm not yet
interested.

The problem is when I choose single-player mode on the menu.  When I
first tried, I did not have ALSA installed.  Single-player would work
but without sound (couldn't find /dev/dsp).  A google search indicated
it might work with ALSA, so I installed ALSA and ALSA-OSS.  ALSA seems
to work fine with all my other applications, but now when I choose
single-player, RTCW hangs with a blank screen and movable mouse cursor.
  When I go to another terminal and kill "wolfsp.x86", I get back my
Xterm and see it died at "sound initialization".  No other info is given.

I can't seem to find this particular problem mentioned on the web.  Any
ideas?  Supposedly the linux implementation of RTCW is similar to Quake3.

Thanks,
Jonathan