[vox-tech] multisession cd-writing

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:03:45 -0700

On 2003.08.26 08:27, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> I am trying to do multisession cd-writing.  My system is a laptop
> with a
> Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, running RH9.  I previously was able to
> use
> gtoaster for trouble-free multi-session cd writes, but suddenly I
> cannot!  The first write session is fine, but various errors occur on
> subsequent sessions.
>
> I don't know when the break occurred:  after I upgraded from RH8 to
> RH9,
> or after I tried using a USB2 DVD+RW (which worked for reading, but
> not
> quite for writing in Linux).
>
> Anyway, I tried command line mkisofs and cdrecord to see if it would
> work instead of gtoaster.  On a blank CDRW:
>
> #mkisofs -r -J -f /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v
> -eject -multi speed=4 -
>
> writes and mounts an initial session OK.  To write some more, I try:
>
> #cdrecord -v -msinfo
> xx,yy
> #mkisofs -r -J -f -C xx,yy -M /dev/scd0
> /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v -eject -multi
> speed=4 -
>
> seems to write OK; at least the output progress looks good and there
> are
> no errors.  However, upon remount I can only see what written in the
> first session (yes, I put something different in the target
> directory)!
>  Any help out there?
>
> Jonathan

One thing I found with my LG-8080-B CD-Writer was that I had to
literally eject the cdrom in order to make it recognize that the data
had changed. (mount -o remount doesn't work, and umount && mount
doesn't work, only eject && mount). That could explain why my Windows
CD burner software always used to physically eject the CD then suck it
back in, even without me asking.
My key was last signed 6/10/2003. If you use GPG, *please* see me about