[vox-tech] multisession cd-writing

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:31:36 -0700

Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2003.08.26 08:27, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>> I am trying to do multisession cd-writing.  My system is a laptop with a
>> Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, running RH9.  I previously was able to use
>> gtoaster for trouble-free multi-session cd writes, but suddenly I
>> cannot!  The first write session is fine, but various errors occur on
>> subsequent sessions.
>>
>> I don't know when the break occurred:  after I upgraded from RH8 to RH9,
>> or after I tried using a USB2 DVD+RW (which worked for reading, but not
>> quite for writing in Linux).
>>
>> Anyway, I tried command line mkisofs and cdrecord to see if it would
>> work instead of gtoaster.  On a blank CDRW:
>>
>> #mkisofs -r -J -f /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v
>> -eject -multi speed=4 -
>>
>> writes and mounts an initial session OK.  To write some more, I try:
>>
>> #cdrecord -v -msinfo
>> xx,yy
>> #mkisofs -r -J -f -C xx,yy -M /dev/scd0
>> /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v -eject -multi speed=4 -
>>
>> seems to write OK; at least the output progress looks good and there are
>> no errors.  However, upon remount I can only see what written in the
>> first session (yes, I put something different in the target directory)!
>>  Any help out there?
>>
>> Jonathan
>

> One thing I found with my LG-8080-B CD-Writer was that I had to
> literally eject the cdrom in order to make it recognize that the data
> had changed. (mount -o remount doesn't work, and umount && mount doesn't
> work, only eject && mount). That could explain why my Windows CD burner
> software always used to physically eject the CD then suck it back in,
> even without me asking.

I thought I had this covered by using the eject option with cdrecord,
but I must have been shoving it back in too quickly, or KDE's automount
was being wacky.  Anyway, I swear it wasn't working when I made the
post, but this morning I put the cd back in and I can see everything
after all!  Well anyway, I know how to do command line cd-writing now.

Jonathan